Ballot box from Tommerup
This ballot box was used for parish council elections in Tommerup. The box still shows traces of the wax seals which ensured that it was not opened prematurely. The box is now at Møntergården in Odense. Photo: René Riis.
This ballot box was used for parish council elections in Tommerup. It dates from before 1933 and was probably in use until the municipal reform of 1970, after which ballot boxes became standardised in Denmark.
During the 19th century, the people of Funen had more influence on the local government. In the market towns, leading merchants were elected and, in the country, major farmers gained more power with the establishment of parish councils in 1841. During the next 100 years, still more people were given the right to vote at municipal elections including small landowners, domestic servants and, from 1909, women, too.
This location is part of the exhibition 'Funen – at the centre of the universe', at Møntergården in Odense. Read more about the exhibition on our website.