Parallelvejen - engelsk
Tunø Village is the only community as such on the island and consists of a single street with farms and houses on either side.
The village – near the road, Søndenom (the Southern Way)
Tunø Village is the only community as such on the island and consists of a single street with farms and houses on either side. Before the great fire of 1852, all the dwellings were inside the village stone perimeter fence. The buildings on the southern side of the main street, Hovedgaden, then consisted of one long sequence of thatched terraced houses and farmsteads.
Two out of three houses in the village were destroyed by the fire, altering the face of the village radically. Several families decided to move out of the village and build a house on their land outside the perimeter fence, while others resettled just outside the stone fence. The fire literally made the village more spacious.
The special feature of the village is its parallel set of roads. South of the main street proper is the parallel road, Søndenom, tracing the old village perimeter fence. The fence has now all but disappeared, because most of the stones were used for harbour construction.
The white house to the west is Tunø Village Hall. It was built in 1904 and extended several times. Over the years, the islanders gathered here for talks, amateur theatre plays, celebrations and much else.