Siim Grusgrav (Gravel Quarry)


Originally, the farms Fugldal and Siim Søndergård were located inside the village of Siim close to other farm houses. During the enclosure period, in 1783, each farm received a main parcel of the best land.

The field pattern was called a star enclosure, because each farm house remained in the village but was given a main parcel, which radiated from the village and became wider the farther you went outside the village centre. At this time, on the fields belonging to Fugldal and Siim Søndergaard there was a large group of burial mounds, of which several had previously been ploughed over. In the 19th century the rest came to be protected by the National Museum of Denmark. If a farm burned down or new buildings were needed, it was convenient for the farmers, after the enclosure had taken place, to move the farm out to a more central location on the main land parcel, in other words outside the centre of the village. This put the farm at a safe distance from the other farms in the village, so the risk of a farm fire spreading to every village house was not so large. At one time in the 19th century, the farm Fugldal was moved to a central location in its main parcel almost 500 metres south of the village of Siim. Later, Siim Søndergård farm was also moved to the south of the village. From the year 1956, the owner of Siim Søndergaard was Åge Nielsen. For some time he had a riding stable at the farm, and was also given permission to establish a gravel quarry on the south field of the farm. As time went on, Siim Grusgrav (Gravel Quarry) became a large business, until it closed down in 2010. The permission to extract the gravel took into consideration the protected burial mounds. This is also true of the growth of the town, which took place in the spaces between the buildings of Fugldal and Siim Søndergaard around the year 2000. The new houses were named after the most significant burial mounds – Tippethøj and Skæphøj. Since then, the houses at Haardalen have been constructed in the gravel pit. These are named after the ploughed-over burial mound Haardals Høj which was located to the south of the present houses.